Blog post

Carbon Monoxide Safety During Family Travel with First Alert

September 6, 2019

Thank you First Alert for sponsoring this post. Know CO!

carbon monoxide tester with finger pushing the button

Our family travels very frequently for both leisure and business. We love the road and seeing new places. We’ve stayed in cabins, RVs, hotels, rentals, etc. It’s really important to keep your family safe during family travel. That’s why I’ll be carrying this little carbon monoxide detector from First Alert. It has a stylish design which blends in with your decor and an LED Temperature Display. There is also a long life battery installed that lasts for 10 years. So you only have to install it once! Plus, it’s super light and fairly small. Therefore it’s easy to take with you on trips.

husband and wife reading about carbon monoxide

The carbon monoxide detector comes with so much information. I didn’t know how prevalent carbon monoxide is in the home! It could be very scary but the wealth of information helps to arm myself with knowledge and peace of mind. Now I know where to put the detector to make sure it has the best possible chance to catch the Carbon Monoxide. We don’t check hotel rooms to make sure the fire and carbon monoxide detectors have good batteries and actually work. With this, at least I can be sure that the carbon monoxide detector works. Plus, not all countries have the same standards (if any) in place to make sure safety standards such as these are practiced.

Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer. It is an invisible, odorless deadly gas that can be produced by any fuel-burning device (such as water heaters, boilers, clothes dryers, gas stoves/ovens, etc.). Since it is odorless and colorless, the only way to detect CO in your home is by installing a CO alarm. It can be especially harmful to those who are intoxicated or unconscious as they may have so much damage done before anyone realizes what is happening.

Some safety tips:

  • Install Carbon Monoxide detectors on every level and every room.
  • Make sure to test CO detectors regularly.
  • Never leave a car running in the garage.
  • Don’t breathe in too much smoke from fires
  • Never use gas-powered tools, generators, or grills in your house.
  • Plan and practice escape plans with your family.
  • If the alarm goes off, leave immediately and call 911.

Carbon monoxide can especially dangerous to unborn babies, children, older adults, & people with chronic heart disease. Fetal blood cells readily absorb carbon monoxide than adult blood cells do. Children take more breaths than adults, so they are more prone to breathing in more carbon monoxide. Older adults who are overexposed to carbon monoxide are more prone to brain damage. People with a history of anemia and breathing issues are more likely to get sick from carbon monoxide exposure. It’s really important for the entire family to make sure that your carbon monoxide detector is in working order.

Some signs and symptoms (from the Mayo Clinic):

  • dull headache
  • weakness
  • dizziness
  • nausea or vomiting
  • confusion
  • shortness of breath
  • blurred vision
  • loss of consciousness

To find out more, please visit these two pages for more information:

https://clvr.li/firstalertcarbonmonoxide

https://clvr.li/KnowCO

 

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Prev Post